Today’s guest post comes from Lana, a lifelong friend who is a former chemist, avid sports fan, and a frugal, crafty, essential oil using mom to a seven-year daughter and soon-to-be baby boy. She makes her beauty products and cleaning supplies at home with essential oils and other healthy, natural ingredients. Today she shares the recipe for her revitalizing DIY eye cream.
Halloween is approaching quickly. My family loves this time of year. We flood the house, inside and out, with decorations and anticipate the actual day when we all get dressed up. And we all get dressed up! This year will be a little different for me as I am nine months pregnant and I don’t think I am going to dress up or go trick or treating. Sleep is getting hard to come by because I can’t get comfortable, I am having issues with my back, etc. All that wonderful end of pregnancy stuff!
With the lack of sleep and all the puffiness, I feel like I might be starting to look like Uncle Fester from The Addams Family. Like I said before, I love to put on makeup and a costume for Halloween, but I don’t want to look like a spooky creature from day-to-day!
I am an essential oil user on a budget and decided to try and make my own eye cream that’s not only cost-effective but supports a healthy eye appearance. I think I’ve succeeded! I apply the eye cream morning and night after washing my face, and I can really see a difference. The best part is it only includes four ingredients and costs roughly $2.75 per batch. It’s extremely easy to make and can be completed in about five minutes
If you’re like me with the goals of saving money and refraining from putting chemicals and additives on your face, you should definitely try out this eye cream.
- 1 oz. of organic cold pressed coconut oil (I get mine from Aldi)
- 2 drops of lemon essential oil
- 2 drops of lavender essential oil
- 2 drops of frankincense essential oil
- Add about 1 oz. of the coconut oil to a small glass bowl and heat until the coconut oil is melted. This can be accomplished using the microwave for about 20 seconds or by placing the bowl in a hot water bath until the coconut is melted.
- Once the coconut oil is melted, add all 3 of the oils and stir until well mixed.
- Transfer the oil mixture into a small container with a lid and place into the refrigerator until the mixture is firm, but not hard. Store your eye cream at room temperature.
*Please keep in mind that the melting point for coconut oil is not very high, so if you travel or the eye cream is left in warm/hot conditions it will melt, so plan accordingly.
This is a wonderful, inexpensive and quality eye cream that you’ll love. A little bit goes a long way with this product so there is no need to apply a large amount either. I hope you all enjoy this eye cream as much as I do and Happy Halloween!